The USDA unveiled ChooseMyPlate as the new food guideline which replaces MyPyramid. The USDA's updated website states that, "MyPlate illustrates the five food groups using a familiar mealtime visual, a place setting." MyPlate contains these key messages for consumers about choosing what's on their plate:
● Enjoy your food, but eat less.
● Avoid oversized portions.
Foods to Increase
● Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
● Make at least half your grains whole grains.
● Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk.
Foods to Reduce
● Compare sodium in foods like soup, bread, and frozen meals ― and choose the foods with lower numbers.
● Drink water instead of sugary drinks.